Artist Jen Otey (Moon Bow Artworks)
O Great Spirit, whose voice we hear in the winds,
And whose breath gives life to all that is, hear us.
Winds of the East, Great Grandfather Fire, the spark of all life, we humbly seek the purification of your bold visions that we may once more experience the passionate joys.
Winds of the South, Great Grandmother Earth, the nurturer of all life, we humbly seek the grace of your embrace that we may once more experience the abundance of joyful love.
Winds of the West, Great Grandmother Ocean, the womb of all life, we humbly seek your power to dissolve and wash away all boundaries and limitations that we may once more experience the blissfulness of your joy.
Winds of the North, Great Grandfather Sky, your breath gives life, we humbly seek your clarity that it may soar us in your joyful visions.
O Great Spirit, whose voice we hear in the winds,
And whose breath gives life to all that is, hear our voices.
As we prepare for our Ascension to Joy Ceremony, I wanted to pause and look at what “joy” is and some short five minute exercises that you can do to bring joy into your life TODAY.
Often, we humans must learn to adapt to the cycles of flood and drought that are such significant aspects of our inner landscapes. In our inner worlds, flood and drought can be accompanied by desperation or despair, for few of us are comfortable with the absence of, or overabundance of, water, of emotion. We may fear death through desiccation or drowning. We want change, now! Yet, when we are able to wait, to have patience, the waters return, or recede, and our inner worlds bloom again.
As we age, we are called to accept and honor the power of our watery emotions, and to value our journeys through the desert. This is challenging work that teaches us to embrace and love the world and us, in all weathers. In doing so we are reminded we, like this Earth house in which we live, contain all that is. We are the Medicine Wheel, and we are, along with Pachamama, who births us, sacred.
In this journey we all have moments that are far removed from what we call joyful, whether it is sorrow or deep despair, but with the ascension into soul joy allowing a filter to shift perception, we can take those moments and say “I am not perceiving this situation as joyful, but I know it will bring me an opportunity of blessing.” That simple affirmation to self, acknowledging and allowing all emotion to be filtered through the joy filter will shift your perception. It will shift your reactions and even as you state your affirmation of joy, it is being created for you.
Ascension to joy allows for you to bring laughter and play into your life. So many times life wears us down into a seriousness that does not allow for the laughter and smiles to flow. The soul joy filter brings smiles, laughter and play into our daily life. It opens more doorways to moments of joy simply by being able to enjoy whatever your journey brings to you.
5 minute spiritual practices to continue bringing the ascension to joy filter into play:
- State your affirmation whenever situations are bringing less than joyful experiences: “I am not perceiving this situation as joyful, but I know it will bring me an opportunity of blessing.”
- Make a picture collage of what brings you that soul joy and put it on your bathroom mirror to reflect on as you start each day.
- Write yourself a joy-note and mail it to yourself.
5 minute JOYful mediation:
- Close your eyes and imagine yourself in your childlike joyful state. Feel it at the top of your head flowing down through your crown. Allow that experience of joyful emotion to fill every cell of your being, floating all the way down into your fingers and toes. Every cell of your being is full of joy.
- Inhale deeply this light, playful sensation. Overflowing in joyful experience it begins to expand out around you touching those closest to you. Watch as the playful smiles cross their faces. It gains in strength and intensity as each smile crosses the face and begins to spread out to the whole earth, further and further like a tsunami wave you see it spread into the stars as joy fills the whole of your universe.
- Inhale deeply this immense soul joy as it fills your universe to carry with you throughout your day.
5 meditative exercises to connect with water's energy to prepare for the ceremony
- Inhale deeply while closing your eyes and hear the sound of water trickling in the back ground. Listen to the gentle sounds and breathe the water deeply into your being as the water flows. Experience the gentle water flowing deeper into your being.
- Go to the beach and sit quietly closing your eyes and hearing the waves ebb and flow. Allow the experience of the water sounds to fill your entire being starting with your toes and with each wave allowing it to rise higher and higher in your being.
- Take a shower and allow the water to gently flow over your being. Visualize the water entering your crown and washing your spirit so that all the soul is rendered clean to leave you feeling light and energized.
- Simply take a sip of water and swish it around your mouth before swallowing it. Experience the water as it flows down your throat. Consciously drink the water with each sip.