Wednesday, August 21, 2013

An Open Letter To My Son

An open letter to my son

To my baby boy,

Today we will pack the truck and fill up your car to take the drive to move you into your "hoome" for the next four years.  and yes, my son, I will cry.

When we arrive I can promise you this.  I will remind you to eat.  I will remind you to wear clean underwear.  I will remind you to mind your manners.  I then, yes, I will probably cry again.  We will talk about the exciting new book that you are opening.  But most of all, we will talk about how extraordinarily proud I am to have a son just like you.  It may not have always been an easy road these past four years, but you walked your own path brilliantly.  I will share with you how much I am going to miss you.

I will then remind you of where you came from and to always be YOU.  I will remind you that I am only a phone call away.  Tell you again how much I love you.

I will want to make your bed, and hang up your clothes.  I will want to walk you around campus so you won't get lost.  I will want to make sure you know where the library is.  But I won't.

Instead, I will get back in my truck and drive home and for the first time in 28 years, I will not have a child at home to ask where are you going, who are you going with, and when will you be back.  I will have done my job.  So for me too, a new chapter begins.  So I shed tears.  Tears of joy for the amazing son that I have been blessed to have.  Tears of love as I watch my youngest become a man.  And, yes, some tears for a bit of sadness as I reflect over the past 28 years - especially the last 18 that my baby boy has been apart of my life.

So, let me say it again.  I love you.  I am so proud of you. And I know you will walk the path of manhood with integrity and do it brilliantly.

mom